03/03/2016 2:00 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
United Entertainment Group
WISE ANNOUNCES NEW HOUSTON CHAPTER;
ORGANIZATION NOW HAS 12 CHAPTERS ACROSS COUNTRY
March 3, 2016 (New York, NY) — Women in Sports and Events (WISE), the leading voice and resource for women in the business of sports,
is pleased to announce the creation of a new WISE Houston chapter. With this addition, WISE now has 12 chapters located across the United States driving the national organization's mission of creating and supporting programs that enhance the growth of women in the business of sports. Local chapters provide programming and valuable networking opportunities in their region and work with WISE National to execute initiatives such as the WISE Within Mentor Program and Speed Mentoring Roundtables.
On Feb. 29, nearly 200 women attended the Houston launch event, confirming that an organization focused on empowering women in sports has an important place in the Houston market. The event featured a panel including Astros president of business operations Reid Ryan, Texans president Jamey Rootes, Dynamo president Chris Canetti, Rockets CEO Tad Brown and Houston Sports Authority CEO Janis Burke, emceed by KHOU meteorologist Chita Johnson. Astros mascot Orbit, Texans mascot TORO, Rockets mascot Clutch, Dynamo mascot Diesel and H-E-B mascot H-E-Buddy were also in attendance.
"We are thrilled to welcome Houston as our newest WISE chapter," stated Kathleen Francis, national board chair for WISE. "Women in the business of sports in Houston will now have the opportunity to support and learn from each other through WISE while benefiting from the national network and resources from the larger organization."
The founding board members of the new WISE Houston chapter are:
- President | Carrie Potter, President & Owner – The Carrie Potter Group, LLC
- Vice President, Marketing/Communications Chair | Christie Feliz, Director, Promotions & Marketing – Houston Astros
- Secretary, Sponsorship Co-Chair | Rachel Quan, Vice President, External Operations – 2016 NCAA Men's Final Four
- Treasurer | Jennifer Hazelton, CFO – Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo
- Senior Advisor | Janis Burke, CEO – Harris County Houston Sports Authority
- Events Chair | Stephanie Stegall, Vice President, Event Sales & Operations – Houston Astros
- Membership Chair | Gretchen Sheirr, Vice President, Sales & Service – Houston Rockets
- Sponsorship Co-Chair | Lacey Dalcour Salas, Houston Public Affairs – H-E-B
- Sponsorship Co-Chair | Lauren Wilson, Manager, Partnership Development – Houston Dynamo & Houston Dash
- WISE Within Co-Chair | Jennifer Davenport, Vice President, Marketing & Community Development – Houston Texans
"We are thrilled and honored to launch a new WISE chapter in Houston, the fourth largest city in America," shares Carrie Potter, president of WISE Houston. "WISE provides women who work in sports with the opportunity to connect, develop, and grow. Given Houston's major national and international presence in sports, we expect this chapter to thrive. The WISE Houston board is grateful for the WISE women across the country who set the stage for Houston and look forward to making them proud."
For more information about WISE Houston, email WISEinHouston@gmail.com
or visit WISEhou.org
on Facebook; and @WISEhouston
WISE (Women in Sports and Events), is the leading voice and resource for professional women in the business of sports. Through ongoing meetings, special events, and mentoring and educational programs, WISE aims to offer its members the opportunity to gain valuable industry insights and connections that can provide them with a competitive advantage in their current position and as they advance in their careers. Founded in 1993, WISE is a national membership organization and registered 501(c)3 public charity headquartered in New York City, with chapters in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, Los Angeles, NYC Metro, Pittsburgh, San Diego, San Francisco/Bay Area, South Florida and Washington, D.C. For more information on WISE, please visit WISEworks.org